Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And here I am again...

I have a sudden urge to blog again, which begs the question...


Pourquoi? 


First thing that comes to mind: procrastination. This is highly probable as I do fancy myself as quite advanced in the subject. However, coupled with the overwhelming desire to not to what I should be doing, there is also this inner creativity that is just screaming to get out.


I'm not sure what I want to write about. I read several different blogs on varying topics (Ok, who am  I trying to kid here? The vast majority of them have to do with food) and whereas I really enjoy cooking, I lack the patience required for the beautiful photography I drool over on the aforementioned sites.


I guess, like many people, I'm just trying to remember to enjoy the sunshine in my life. It's absurdly easy to forget to stop and get a whiff of those roses. I find myself getting caught up in the details and not being able to step back and appreciate the big picture despite all the blessings and wonderful things that surround me, when honestly, I should be wearing sunglasses for all the sunshine here (figuratively speaking. I live in a city with an extremely rainy climate...)


So, let me begin by describing a perfect moment. It is fresh off the press, having just taken place this morning. But first, the scene must be set. Sleep has not been a top priority recently. I've had far too many sleepless nights in the month of April (probably more than my entire life combined, but that's another story for another day. I will say that I regret none of them since they have all been linked with unforgettable experiences such as galavanting across the world). The most recent was Saturday night. 


Despite a decent night's rest on Sunday, by Monday evening there was just no more energy left. I was running on the afterthought of fumes. I was exhausted and falling asleep sitting up. I was delighted to finally climb into bed and be swept off to la-la land. Sweet bliss...until 3am. Bam. Wide awake and ready for action. I tried talking myself into sleeping. No dice. I got up and tried to tire myself out. Nada. I tossed and turned until the alarm went off. Due to the lack of sleep, the thought of coffee was less than appealing. I did have this sudden desire for hot chocolate, so out came the pot, and I heated up some milk.


Let me tell you. It was one fine hot chocolate. Sitting at the table, with the mug cradled between my hands, feeling the warmth and smelling the chocolate, I no longer felt tired, I just felt present, in the moment, and relaxed. A perfect moment and a perfect way to start the day.

No comments: